Green Building Forum

Home  5  Books  5  GBEzine Subscription  5  News  5  HelpDesk  5  Your Cart  5  Register
Minimum building size house conversion - Green Building Forum

Hello

Welcome to the Green Building Forum. Reading any of the public conversations is free but if you want to join in the discussions then you need to register first to obtain a code for which there is a small charge. Please follow the link on the left. OR:

GREEN BUILDING MAGAZINE
Get the next four copies of this fantastic magazine delivered directly to your door.
1 year Green Building magazine subscription
Price: £20.00
Discount books available with subscription:

Minimum building size house conversion

It appears our local council have dictated a minimum conversion size for a 1 bed flat of 55m2 plus a min ceiling height of 2.4 mtr. Is this typical throughout the country and how do old cottages cope with low ceilings.

Comments

• Posted By: renewablejohnIt appears our local council have dictated a minimum conversion size for a 1 bed flat of 55m2 plus a min ceiling height of 2.4 mtr. Is this typical throughout the country and how do old cottages cope with low ceilings.
    Quite easily - old cottages exist as dwellings, so no problem (retrospective regs are generally not allowed). If you wanted to convert a barn with a low ceiling (non dwelling property) to a new dwelling with a low ceiling it would get refused.
    Over here you need a certain %age of ceiling height over 2.7mtr. (the exact amount escapes me for the moment)
  • IIRC minimum ceiling heights have been removed from Building Regs, EXCEPT at stairs?
    So why are the 'Council' insisting on a min. ceiling height?

Good luck:smile:
  • Posted By: DarylPIIRC minimum ceiling heights have been removed from Building Regs, EXCEPT at stairs?
    So why are the 'Council' insisting on a min. ceiling height?

Good luck:smile:
    Do you have a date when it was removed from building regs
  • Hmm not sure, 2008? I know lots of Archs still think it is there, but have subsequently found it not.
    I don't think it is in AD L1A/B, but a call to your local BCO might be worth it.
    Sorry I could not be more helpful..
    Cheers:smile:
  • My ceilings are 8 feet (very close to 2.45 m, but definitely built in imperial) and while certainly not high seem significantly higher than some newer houses (say 1970s - 90s) I have seen. I'm not sure if this is a trick of the room proportions or not.
  • Anybody know what the RICS recommended area is for a 1 bed apartment I am sure its far less then 55m2 especially some of the rabbit hutches I have seen in London.
  • RIBA recommend a min of 50m2 for new build. 55m2 in unusually large for 1 bed.
  • edited November 2013
    Which Council is it?

Some have policies designed to discourage conversion of small houses into flats. Some seem to ban kitchen-diners, unless there is a 'separate living room'.

Localism principles may tend to support their right to decide so converters could be on a sticky wicket.

Parker-Morris was 30sqm for a one bed iirc.

How many parking spaces do they require per 1 bed flat, and how much 'storage' and 'outside' (not including dustbin) space ?

F
  • edited November 2013
    Do you have a date when it was removed from building regs
    I'm not sure there ever was a min height in the Building Regs (except over stairs).

Edit: I'll try and check that. Meanwhile I found..

http://www.homebuilding.co.uk/advice/existing-homes/extending/20-things-you-need-know-extending-your-home
    Minimum Ceiling Heights Although the legal minimum ceiling height has now been removed from the Building Regulations, there is still a practical minimum height and this is especially worth thinking about in attic and cellar conversions. All rooms should normally have a floor to ceiling height of at least 2.1m throughout (standard ceiling height is 2.4m). In rooms with sloping ceilings, at least 50% of the floor area should normally have a floor to ceiling height of at least 2.1m.
    Page 15 here refers to 2.0 meters over landings. Landings include a small area of hallway at the top and bottom of stairs. The 1.8m rule for headroom over stairs is only really permitted in certain places such as loft conversions.

http://www.southampton.gov.uk/Images/Loft Conversions and the Building Regulations 2000 (inc%20L1a%20Rev)_tcm46-161536.pdf

Elsewhere there are posts from pre 2004 that say there is no general minimum in the Building Regs.
  • Found this from 1994. It suggests minimum room areas and heights (2.14m) for HMO...

http://www.cieh.org/uploadedFiles/Core/Policy/Publications_and_information_services/Policy_publications/Publications/Amenity_Standards_for_HMOs_1994.pdf
  • It's a long time since I was in Housing Management, but IIRC we had 35m2 for a 1-bed 1-person (1B1P) and 45 for a 1B2P.