Green Building Forum

Home  5  Books  5  GBEzine Subscription  5  News  5  HelpDesk  5  Your Cart  5  Register
What should society look like? - Green Building Forum

Hello

Welcome to the Green Building Forum. Reading any of the public conversations is free but if you want to join in the discussions then you need to register first to obtain a code for which there is a small charge. Please follow the link on the left. OR:

GREEN BUILDING MAGAZINE
Get the next four copies of this fantastic magazine delivered directly to your door.
1 year Green Building magazine subscription
Price: £20.00
Discount books available with subscription:

What should society look like?

edited November 2014 in Free speech space
What should our society be like?

Not like it is, isolated, every one selfish, uncaring, busy, and engaged with their mobile devices more than with those arround them.

Talking face to face, kind, helpful would all be nice things to have in our society, .....

Comments

• It should look like it is, not how we wish it to be.
  • edited November 2014
    I tend to measure society by the number of neighbours you know by name.

I've lived here for two years and there are 8 neighbouring homes and I know 7 of the families by name, the other home is a single person who lives a very fast life, is never home due to work and when they are, they never interact with anyone.
  • Go to the pub more.

I do agree with the mobile technology bit though tony.
    I have real difficulty in understanding what is so important that it requires constant monitoring and immediate attention, and gawping at a little screen.
    A sad life as far as I'm concerned. or maybe I'm missing out.
    I wonder what conversational skills they pass onto their offspring.:sad:
  • edited November 2014
    Posted By: owlmanI wonder what conversational skills they pass onto their offspring.
    I thought they simply texted each other :sad:
  • "Should"? That's not how society works.

You can only influence those in proximity to you, telling society at large what they should or shouldn't do is a waste of time IMO. As the saying goes: "Be the change you wish to see in the world", it'll have an impact on this within your circle of influence. Don't waste worry cycles on anybody whose behaviour you can't actually influence.
  • Posted By: SeretDon't waste worry cycles on anybody whose behaviour you can't actually influence.
    Does that mean that public education and healthcare are not worth worrying about :wink:
  • What a cool topic title - the most fundamental question that ever faces humans on a practical level - just like that!

The More Beautiful World Our Hearts Know is Possible (Sacred Activism) by Charles Eisenstein
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Beautiful-Hearts-Possible-Sacred-Activism/dp/1583947248/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1416387674&sr=1-1&keywords=the+more+beautiful+world+our+hearts+know+is+possible

The Open-Source Everything Manifesto: Transparency, Truth, and Trust by Robert David Steele
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_4_11?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=open+source+everything+manifesto&sprefix=open+source%2Cstripbooks%2C178&rh=n%3A266239%2Ck%3Aopen+source+everything+manifesto
  • edited November 2014
    Does that mean that public education and healthcare are not worth worrying about?
    Depends entirely on the scale of the problem. For nationwide policy issues or the kind of behavioural changes that Tony was talking about, no, most of us have very little ability to have a significant impact. Best you can do is work at a local level and hope it adds up. A bit like voting really. Your vote is a drop in the bucket, but if there are enough drops...

That's why I don't like discussions about wanting to force society to change and adopt your viewpoint. You can't. All you can do is change yourself and try to influence those proximate to you. If you want to have more impact you need to work to expand your influence, which generally means getting political with all the compromises and pitfalls that involves.
  • edited November 2014
    Posted By: Seret"Should"? That's not how society works.
    There have been plenty of 'shoulds', the imposition of pure philosophy or ideology, which have changed world history irrevocably,
    most notably the French Revolution 1789 on (pure philosophy),
    also for example Maggie's coup (ideology) aimed at reimposing a Victorian ideal that the world rightly thought had had its day, but which Ronnie and the corporates hijacked to accelerate their hideous New World Order which rules us all today.