Green Building Forum

Home  5  Books  5  GBEzine Subscription  5  News  5  HelpDesk  5  Your Cart  5  Register
Heating, external temperature sensor - Green Building Forum

Hello

Welcome to the Green Building Forum. Reading any of the public conversations is free but if you want to join in the discussions then you need to register first to obtain a code for which there is a small charge. Please follow the link on the left. OR:

GREEN BUILDING MAGAZINE
Get the next four copies of this fantastic magazine delivered directly to your door.
1 year Green Building magazine subscription
Price: £20.00
Discount books available with subscription:

Heating, external temperature sensor

edited January 2015 in Heating and cooling
Can anyone point me in the right direction for getting some general information on adding an external temp. sensor to a improve temperature regulation in a domestic situation using wood gasification/accumulator/UFH?

Comments

• Have you checked with wood boiler manufacturers
  • Is it really the outside temperature that's causing the lack of regulation? or is it solar gain or something else?
  • You are talking about a weather compensation sensor I suppose. A plain sensor is usually added to the boiler, a Viessmann gas boiler in our house, where the connections and software is prepared for this addition.
    I am not sure how you can work it with a 'normal boiler' without the option of adding this item.
  • Hi Paul,
    Exactly what temp do you want to regulate?, and how do you envisage an external sensor doing that. More info please.
  • Not sure of your setup, but I have noticed that running a low temp UFH system, I do need to increase the flow temp when the outside temp is low (and thus the losses increase). However, the sensor is only part of the equation as it is the software to provide the right hysteresis that is the really tricky bit!
  • Look at Esbe/esco controls...
  • I feel that increasing flow temp to the UFH when the outside temp falls, and vice versa, would help regulate room temperature. Some boilers have this ability built in, I will be using a Thermomatic CC. I could throw this out and buy a Thermomatic EC but hoped for a simpler solution.