Green Building Forum

Home  5  Books  5  GBEzine Subscription  5  News  5  HelpDesk  5  Your Cart  5  Register
sealing concrete floor in conservatory - Green Building Forum

Hello

Welcome to the Green Building Forum. Reading any of the public conversations is free but if you want to join in the discussions then you need to register first to obtain a code for which there is a small charge. Please follow the link on the left. OR:

GREEN BUILDING MAGAZINE
Get the next four copies of this fantastic magazine delivered directly to your door.
1 year Green Building magazine subscription
Price: £20.00
Discount books available with subscription:

sealing concrete floor in conservatory

edited February 2015 in Products
I have a new concrete floor in a conservatory (sorry, I know it's not ideal) and would like to seal the floor using the least harmful material from the point of view of VOCs, CO2 and general toxic nastiness. I've read on other forums that options include using dilute PVA glue as a first sealing coat and maybe then some floor paint. Other suggestions seem to be epoxy based products which I don't much fancy.

I don't aim to tile or put other flooring over the slab, it is a rustic-style conservatory and I'm happy with just the solid floor (and I was hoping for some benefit in Spring and Autumn from thermal mass, but after reading Steamy Tea's comments on another thread I think that may have been a pipe-dream :) )

I'd b grateful if you've any suggestions or experience to share.

Comments

• Our garage floor is finished using Cempolatex 1 pack self-levelling compound. It seems fairly durable, although probably not for high traffic areas. The grey colour might not be to your taste. Although described as self-levelling it did need spreading to level it evenly. If you use it, mix gently and try to avoid mixing too much air in as it takes a while to come out and leaves the surface pitted, needing another thin coat to produce a smooth finish!!

I don't think it is recommended as a finish coat, but ours seems to be OK after a year
  • Floor paint is, I guess the cheapest. I have some grey two pack that I got for a job and never used, whisper me if you're interested? I don't know about the harmful aspect though.
  • Thanks both.