Green Building Forum

Home  5  Books  5  GBEzine Subscription  5  News  5  HelpDesk  5  Your Cart  5  Register
Underfloor Heating - Green Building Forum

Hello

Welcome to the Green Building Forum. Reading any of the public conversations is free but if you want to join in the discussions then you need to register first to obtain a code for which there is a small charge. Please follow the link on the left. OR:

GREEN BUILDING MAGAZINE
Get the next four copies of this fantastic magazine delivered directly to your door.
1 year Green Building magazine subscription
Price: £20.00
Discount books available with subscription:

Underfloor Heating

edited March 2015 in Housing - New Build
Struggling to make a decision - we are going to install electric underfloor heating mats in our two bathrooms. Just a bit of comfort!

Doing a search I have either DEVImat or Schluter DITRA-HEAT from a UK supplier (tilefixdirect.com) - DEVImat seems a good package, but the Schluter mat comes with a 5.5mm studded uncoupling layer that will give me some sound deadening under the finish of ceramic tiles. If I go with the DEVI I'll need to buy a good quality uncoupling layer, so the cost difference isn't massive ... decisions, decisions!!

Of course, such heating mats are available in France - a local, big DIY store, Leroy Merlin, also offers heating mats - but they aren't a known brand and I think we would be better installing a good quality make. Once it's laid under the tiles I'm hoping it will outlast me!!

Any experience with installing - buying heating mats please??

Thanks, regards, Jonathan

Comments

• My memory is a bit sketchy on the details but I too looked at using Devi mats but on advise opted for just normal cable instead. I can't compare as such, but the cable was easy to lay around the bathroom and I would guess it offers a lot more flexibility than the mats.

I didn't use any decoupling layer, the cable is within a fairly thick layer of levelling compound laid over 22mm chipboard and with the water tightness layer and ceramic tiles on top. I have never had any issue with impact noise but as is normal here we don't were outdoor shoes indoors.

One area to really look out for is the controller. Ours is a basic one and a total disaster to program. You have to program the whole week day by day with all the various ons and offs and temp settings requiring multiple button presses. I should really change ours but it has not been a priority so I'm afraid I can't give advise on which is the best to go for. Perhaps look for instruction videos on youtube of various models available to you to see which is the easiest for you to program.

The worst is that ours lost all its settings when it was switched off over the summer even though it had power all that time. I couldn't face programming it again so it's been off all this winter. In reality I have rarely missed it. A mat or two in the bathroom takes away 90% of the need.

The tiles have been warm enough the last week that I would be turning off the heat to them now anyway.

My advise would be to not expend too much time or money on this, but do take a little care with choosing the controls. Unless you are very cold blooded you are unlikely to have it on for more than a few hours a day for 3 to 4 months a year.
  • Thanks Chris - I was looking at a mid range controller and I will keep the costs within reasonable bounds!! I'm also looking at warmup and will give a update on the outcome!!