Green Building Forum

Home  5  Books  5  GBEzine Subscription  5  News  5  HelpDesk  5  Your Cart  5  Register
Demand switches for reducing EMF - Green Building Forum

Hello

Welcome to the Green Building Forum. Reading any of the public conversations is free but if you want to join in the discussions then you need to register first to obtain a code for which there is a small charge. Please follow the link on the left. OR:

GREEN BUILDING MAGAZINE
Get the next four copies of this fantastic magazine delivered directly to your door.
1 year Green Building magazine subscription
Price: £20.00
Discount books available with subscription:

Demand switches for reducing EMF

edited March 2015 in General
One of my co-owners is concerned about EMFs and has asked me about this:
http://www.healthy-house.co.uk/product/demand-switch-NA7

What's your view?

On a technical matter it sounds like they require a ring circuit as a opposed to radial.

Comments

• Tell them not to be concerned and save £155 each circuit.

I see no reason why they wouldn't work on a radial.

Can't be used on the smoke alarm circuit (Aside: do they have to be mains powered or just interlinked these days?).

Clearly you can't put them on things like the fridge/freezer, oven/microwave or TV recorder circuits. Those are typically run in the downstairs ceiling (eg potentially under the bed upstairs) so the layout of those circuits would have to be checked/changed.
  • Actually I suppose you could put them on an oven/microwave circuit if you don't mind switching them off at the wall and resetting the clock when you switch them back on.
  • 16 amps is pretty low by British standards. May be enough for your needs, of course, but rather limiting on using electric heaters to boost heating in very cold weather.

Why do you think it's for rings rather than radials? At 16 A it might not be worth bothering with a ring, of course.

If, hypothetically, EMF is a problem then my guess would be that rings would be more likely to cause problems than radials, particularly if there are any poor connections so the currents in the live and neutral each way round were not balanced.
  • Good Grief - are people still falling for the poor science and over inflated costs of these things.

It's complete nonsense to try and claim that the magnetic field produced by 50Hz mains wiring systems can have sufficient energy so as to impact on human health - the whole concept is based on techno babble

Regards

Barney
  • Posted By: barneyGood Grief - are people still falling for the poor science and over inflated costs of these things.

It's complete nonsense to try and claim that the magnetic field produced by 50Hz mains wiring systems can have sufficient energy so as to impact on human health - the whole concept is based on techno babble
    I hope they don't have a mobile phone, have ever been near a base station. Do they object to the neighbours ringmain/Wi-Fi, or the sparks from an internal combustion engine. Do they listen to the radio, watch TV. Did the recent eclipse make them feel 'different', let alone the recent solar flare that lit up the sky in places.
    Do they think that a circuit with no load on it has a different 'energy' level than one with a load on it?
    Have they ever read a science book?

How do people fall for this nonsense.
  • On the fire alarm question I understood mains powered and interlinked.

However, I'm fitting one of these basic panels -

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Fire_and_Smoke/Fire_Detection_Systems/Fire_Detection_ESP/

Smaller, cheaper, detectors offsets the cost of the panel and the wiring for the detectors is at 24v so can just use cheap, small, easy to pull alarm cable.
  • I think you've missed the point Simon

Stand alone devices have no interconnection that prohibits operation in a fire

If you use a BS 5839 Part 1 system, you have to send a signal from the detector, to the panel and from the panel to the sounder - that cable would need to be fire rated rather than simple alarm cable.

Regards

Barney
  • edited March 2015
    Hmm. You may be right.

A standard domestic install needs to be grade D - mains powered, battery back up, interconnected. The interconnect would normally be wired but there's no need for the cable to be fire rated (perfectly acceptable to spur the alarms from the lighting circuit). It's designed to give early warning of a fire in a small building so you can evacuate.

I'd assumed the battery back up was to protect in event of a power cut rather than destruction of power supply and the panel has a battery back up. My panel wouldn't comply with grade B or C without fireproof cable but I'd assumed it would meet D. I may well be wrong.
  • Well, it's an unusual solution for LD3 - and you may well take a chance that alarms will be sounding before any cables become damaged such that they can't operate.

The whole point of stand alone units ie (Part 6) that have both the detection, power supply and sounder all in one is that they will operate up until such time as the fire gets to them - by then they have either done the job and people are out or it's too late for them

The whole point of Part 1 system is that it gives you operability - and the price you pay is the need to fire protect cable interconnects

There is no way on earth anyone is going to sign off your proposal for building control

Regards

Barney
  • edited March 2015
    It's a Grade C system and according to https://www.elecsa.co.uk/Homepage/ELECSA-News/If-You-Can-t-Stand-the-Heat---.aspx and other sources only A and B need fire rated cable.

Grade C, LD2
    • Control and indication panel with battery back-up.
    • Intruder alarm system may also support 12Volt smoke and heat alarms
    • Optical alarms in hallways and landings, heat detectors in the kitchen and lounge
    • May be wired in standard non-fire-resistant cable
    • Requires a dedicated mains supply

Normally use in sheltered housing. So the question becomes is a Grade C system is an 'upgrade' to a Grade D system. In my naivety I'd assumed is was since the usual description of the domestic requirement is 'a minimum of Grade D'

Potentially not too late to change but getting increasingly difficult
  • BTW, for mains-powered interconnected alarms, is the interconnection signalling usually a separate cable from the mains power or do they have some sort of multi-core cable used for both or what?
  • Run on 3 core plus earth - using the extra core for the interconnect.
  • edited April 2015
    Posted By: barney
    Give it up Barney - when has Science ever known 'everything', or even had certainty about what it does 'know'? Never yet - but that doesn't stop scientists holding that as a quasi-religious belief.

There is without doubt 'something' happening about EMFs and a whole lot more, and this is in fact not unknown to Science, as many scientists attest, chapter and verse.

Personally, I do feel mildly enervated after a day surrounded by office electronics, and wonderfully enlivened when there's a power cut. My partner can barely enter my office to dictate her emails, and I know others whose life and health depends on getting as far away as poss from electricity, wifi, mobile phones and into non-reception areas i.e. deep Dartmoor. It's plain insulting to claim this is all imaginary.

Any 'natural philosopher', the precursor of 'scientist' would have been instantly curious about any such apparent phenomenon. Today's conservative-minded scientists should be ashamed.
    Posted By: SteamyTea
    I hope they don't have a mobile phone
    Personally, only with great reluctance, seldom used, and battery removed when not
    have ever been near a base station
    Me, inevitably, but live and work outside reception area
    Do they object to the neighbours ringmain
    I object to my own, but unfortunately in a rented property ...
    Do they object to the neighbours Wi-Fi
    No neighbours, no Wifi here, not least because it won't go through 700mm thick cob walls
    Do they listen to the radio, watch TV
    feels yucky, not just because of vicarious invasion, but prob physically
    Did the recent eclipse make them feel 'different'
    Me, loved it, but other certainly do 'feel' it, but you'd prob deny that
  • edited April 2015
    Posted By: SteamyTeaDo they think that a circuit with no load on it has a different 'energy' level than one with a load on it?
    AFAIK the circuit has to be 2-pole if not 3-pole isolated (at a point as far away as possible), to be free of static charge, even when no current is flowing. This is the requirement of serious health-based minimised-EMF systems.

Hence, all radial, from individual isolators - certainly not ring. Cables cross each other at right angles, to minimise induction.
  • Posted By: fostertom…if not 3-pole isolated
    Is breaking the earth wire allowed? I'd have thought it would be a very bad idea, at least, because it will leave the cases of class I equipment connected together but floating. If any of them touch a potential from another circuit they'll all become live.
  • OK - what if every item of Class1 equipment was on a separate radial from the 3-pole (if such a switch type exists)? Maybe breaking the earth wire wd not necessary even in "serious health-based minimised-EMF systems" - if it really was earthed to immediately local earth, not just back at the substation or wherever.
  • As I said Tom - techno babble

Humans have been exposed to magnetic fields several orders of magnitude greater than experienced from 50Hz systems - we live on a big magnet.

Regards

Barney
  • a) are all magnetic fields alike?
    b) frequency for a start
    c) most probably other factors you'd no doubt consider woowoo.

So you would say, face to face with 'my partner' and 'others I know', that they're just imagining EMF effects? Good luck!
  • How about embedding some earthed wire mesh in the plaster as a faraday cage, just to be on the safe side? ;-)

I'm not so convinced that these EMFs themselves have a health effect, but I'm sure the symptoms are real enough.

Perhaps it's due to the stress that the electronic objects are associated with? e.g. whirring fans, misc beeps, WORK, WORK, WORK, politics etc.

Of course if someone were to do a decent double blind test....?
  • Amazingly, various somebodies have done double-blind tests.

http://who.int/peh-emf/publications/facts/fs296/en/

“Studies on EHS individuals

A number of studies have been conducted where EHS individuals were exposed to EMF similar to those that they attributed to the cause of their symptoms. The aim was to elicit symptoms under controlled laboratory conditions.

The majority of studies indicate that EHS individuals cannot detect EMF exposure any more accurately than non-EHS individuals. Well controlled and conducted double-blind studies have shown that symptoms were not correlated with EMF exposure.

It has been suggested that symptoms experienced by some EHS individuals might arise from environmental factors unrelated to EMF. Examples may include “flicker” from fluorescent lights, glare and other visual problems with VDUs, and poor ergonomic design of computer workstations. Other factors that may play a role include poor indoor air quality or stress in the workplace or living environment.

There are also some indications that these symptoms may be due to pre-existing psychiatric conditions as well as stress reactions as a result of worrying about EMF health effects, rather than the EMF exposure itself.”
  • So you would say, face to face with 'my partner' and 'others I know', that they're just imagining EMF effects? Good luck!

I would say exactly that, Tom, in relation to 50Hz systems up to all voltages used for distribution and transmission at any credible harmonic multiple

Spending £150 notes on a simple contactor, per circuit to solve a non technical problem is just barmy.

If you want to spend the money to feel better then fine - but let's not then promote the item as having worth - because then it becomes akin to tiger powder

Regards

Barney
  • Tom

You missed out the recent Aurora and solar flares.
    Why do you think that science is a quasi religion? I don't know of any scientists that think that, and I know quite a few.
    For an interesting take on science, listen to this. It is about climate science, but sums up why people miss the point about what is being said.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b05nvdv4

Ed
    I think the last sentence sums it up.
  • edited April 2015
    Ed, aware of scientific work that supports the reality of Experimenter Effect http://skepdic.com/experimentereffect.html by which "Double-blind experiments can reduce experimenter effect" - note, 'can reduce', not eliminate? That article's cunningly discussing EE in relation to 'psi' experiments, whose woowoo-ness immediately taints EE itself - but EE may in fact be so pervasive as to call classic Scientific Method in question (an excellent example comes to mind in our own down-to-earth building field).

Director of Exeter Univ Dept of Complementary Medicine conducts one impecable scientific experiment after another to prove e.g. that homeopathy is no more efficacious than placebo (so gimme placebo!). I have it on good authority that he secretly intends this to give fuel to the growing opinion that that's what Scientific Method says, then there's something wrong with Scientific Method!
  • Tom
    Design your own experiment, conduct it, get it reviewed, get it repeated, and those results reviewed, publish the results, including the negative ones, wait a few years and your ideas may get accepted. This is known as rigour and robustness.

Or alternatively, accept that the above has been done and you just don't like the answer (a polite why of saying stop talking bollox).

Are you talking about Bill Truble's 2011 FoI request when Professor Ernst announced his retirement?

When discussing anything medical, read Ben Goldacre's (mother is a good singer) books and find out just how terrible the research and peer reviewing has been in that area. Things do seem to be changing in that field now.
  • What should I test for? I don't know - it's apparently not ultra-pure laboratory EMFs in white-coat setting that's detectable by available instrumentation. So it's something else, or 'cocktail' of somethings, maybe surprising, maybe presently unknown, or within the fringes of science that get your research funding stopped.

Going straight to "pre-existing psychiatric conditions as well as stress reactions as a result of worrying" is an unworthy extension of the experimenter's brief, evidence of pre-framed attitude.

How about instead proposing further lines of investigation, with intention of getting to bottom of something that clearly exists? That would be worthy of a scientific mind.
  • Tom
    Clever people in the field have already done what you suggested and found nothing.
    There is generally two parts to this sort of thing. The cause/effect and the testing/reviewing.

If you are convinced that it is 'something else' you have to go out and find it, it is not up to others to do it (because they have and found nothing).
    The mechanisms behind the effects do not always have to be fully understood, but they have to be testable and repeatable. It is the repeatability that is important is this sort of research.
    Then you have to be careful about what you are actually observing, a 1/20 failure rate can mean two thing. I in 20 of the experiments failed, or 1 in 20 of the subject reported a negative finding. They are not always the same thing.
  • Posted By: fostertomHow about instead proposing further lines of investigation, with intention of getting to bottom of something that clearly exists? That would be worthy of a scientific mind.
    Indeed, that would be useful. Less useful is continuing to insist that the symptoms observed are the result of EMF when there's no evidence to support this (and some evidence to rebut, if not refute, it) - it just makes it harder to carry on a rational discussion of the matter and obstructs making any progress. That's what gets the backs attached to “scientific minds” up.
  • edited April 2015
    I'll have to get my pal Grahame, physicist, mathematician, electronics engineer, mobile phone industry pioneer, to give me the concise chapter and verse on EMFs and all that, now he's seen the light, campaigning etc.
  • You don't need your pal Grahame to do anything other than provide any credible research conclusions that 50Hz 230V systems in domestic settings have a discernible effect on health and well being of humans.

What vested interests are threatening friend Grahame - for what purpose, to what end, what is the objection to ?

Or is this another of those fantastical conspiracy theories

Regards

Barney
  • I had an argument with someone recently who was worried about smart meters being too close to people's heads and therefore a danger. I pointed out that the people that worry about these things have no understanding of quantum mechanics. He was puzzled until I explained that, no matter how bright a green light is, it will not give you a sunburn.

Paul in Montreal.