Green Building Forum

Home  5  Books  5  GBEzine Subscription  5  News  5  HelpDesk  5  Your Cart  5  Register
Ridge ventilation Details for pitched Green roofs - Green Building Forum

Hello

Welcome to the Green Building Forum. Reading any of the public conversations is free but if you want to join in the discussions then you need to register first to obtain a code for which there is a small charge. Please follow the link on the left. OR:

GREEN BUILDING MAGAZINE
Get the next four copies of this fantastic magazine delivered directly to your door.
1 year Green Building magazine subscription
Price: £20.00
Discount books available with subscription:

Ridge ventilation Details for pitched Green roofs

Having searched numerous sites on the green roof issue I have failed miserably in my attempts to find any information / CAD drawings or indeed anything relating to venting pitched green roofs.

It would appear (though I might be mistaken) that every picture of a pitched green roof I see on the net has no provision for roof ventilation ? Maybe there are provisions for eaves to eaves ventilation but ridge ventilation does not appear to have been addressed in any of the steeper pitched roofs.

As a building contractor I am well aware of the problems of unvented roofs and have dealt with horrendous problems caused by such practices. The situation worsens in high vaulted/ cathedral ceilings with no loft space and the where requirement to vent each individual rafter space is essential. Maybe I'm wrong but surely ridge ventilation has to be a requirement in such pitched roofs?

I know how I would go about providing ridge ventilation and tying in a roofing membrane but what I am really interested in finding out is why there is absolutely nothing on these sites about ventilation. Are these roofs being built without adequate provision and has it actually mattered in the end ?

As a matter of interest , I recently spoke to the technical department of one major UK supplier of green roofing materials regarding ventilation and they didn't know / had never been asked and had no drawings or info. Am I missing something here or is this a subject that has just never been addressed ?

Any comments or experiences welcome

Comments

• Interesting question.

Firstly you would rarely see a green roof with a steep pitch. The growing medium would tend to slide off and also water run off becomes a problem and the roof is too dry.

Where the building has a loft then that would be ventilated at the eaves.
    Where there is a cathedral ceiling then you would need to allow a continuous 50mm air gap from eaves to eaves.

I have not heard of anyone that uses ridge vents as you would have problems with the detailing and also preventing the vents becoming blocked over time.
  • Nigel - yes, I agree there's a limit to pitch but I've seen plenty of green roofs at approx 30 degrees. Eaves to eaves ventilation works ok on trad construction ( but not in all applications) to 35 degrees but that is with a loft space starting at eaves level , the situation is totally different with a sloping ceiling boarded to the ridge and only the 50mm air gap above individual rafter spaces allowing ventilation.

You could detail ridge vents - lot of faffing about! - I'll send you a pdf or dxf of what I would consider if you send your email.

Timber - Yes, you would think a warm roof might be the answer but having just spoken to Kingspan and Rockwool neither have information on the structure and neither could definitively answer the question- You could consider a warm pitched roof covered by a totally waterproof membrane the same as a flat roof with a "large bump" in it / Flat roofs used for green roofs remain unvented and seem to work presumably with a very good vapour barrier underneath.Water vapour would still need to be removed elsewhere in the building.

Not saying that's not the way to do it but not yet convinced - besides which the addition of a substantial layer of insulation on top of the rafters creates yet another awkward detail in fixing on pitched roofs and one which I would prefer to avoid.

Thanks - Keep the ideas going !
  • Posted By: dailampardFlat roofs used for green roofs remain unvented and seem to work presumably with a very good vapour barrier underneath.
    Since when...? ...only when the insulation is above the rafters think.

J
  • James / sorry... confusing - replace flat roofs with" parapet flat roofs often seen being used for green roofs remain unventilated...

Also consider those flat roofs added on terrace extensions where they all abut each other and the only vents are at the front of the roof - are those roofs truly ventilated indeed are they actually ventilated at all?