Green Building Forum

Home  5  Books  5  GBEzine Subscription  5  News  5  HelpDesk  5  Your Cart  5  Register
Joist floor and chimney stack - Green Building Forum

Hello

Welcome to the Green Building Forum. Reading any of the public conversations is free but if you want to join in the discussions then you need to register first to obtain a code for which there is a small charge. Please follow the link on the left. OR:

GREEN BUILDING MAGAZINE
Get the next four copies of this fantastic magazine delivered directly to your door.
1 year Green Building magazine subscription
Price: £20.00
Discount books available with subscription:

Joist floor and chimney stack

Do i attach joist hangers into the chimney stack or do i trim and go around them?

i will be spanning the joists into the party wall and off a spine wall. Span is about 4m's. i have a chimney breast in the way and it is 135cm wide. Can i hang 3 joist hangers off here or do i double up the joists at both sides of the chimney breast and run joists between these 2 doubled up joists ? if i do this should the joists between the doubled up joists be also doubled up themselves?

Comments

• Trim round it
  • Double each side rest singles
  • A question,

does this trimming round also apply to new builds where flue liners made of pumice or similar are required by regs?

Ta
  • I think so. Once had a fabulous arguement with a BI about why I had not built my joist end into a chimney breast

He went red in the face when :shamed: I said that I would be concerned about it catching fire !
  • Doc J 2.18 b) You need a min 40mm gap between the masonry chimney and structural timbers. Non structural timbers like skirting can touch provided this is OK from the manufacturer.
    It is worth having a look at diagram 21..