Green Building Forum

Home  5  Books  5  GBEzine Subscription  5  News  5  HelpDesk  5  Your Cart  5  Register
What I wouldn't Give For a Spellcheck! - Green Building Forum

Hello

Welcome to the Green Building Forum. Reading any of the public conversations is free but if you want to join in the discussions then you need to register first to obtain a code for which there is a small charge. Please follow the link on the left. OR:

GREEN BUILDING MAGAZINE
Get the next four copies of this fantastic magazine delivered directly to your door.
1 year Green Building magazine subscription
Price: £20.00
Discount books available with subscription:

What I wouldn't Give For a Spellcheck!

Some people can't spell, some poeple can't type what they want fast - despite a decent list of acedemic qualifications I can't do either - so I have to copy and paste into word - then put it back again - for short comments I have to decide whether to take a risk....

For example I have just read what I typed and 'poeple' looks wrong - tried 2 quick edits but not sure - ahhh it looks right when I first typed it. Just and example.

So, any chance of a spell check, please Kieth? (silently said 'i' before 'e' except after 'c'....normally...)

Comments

• It's built into your browser - at least, if you use FireFox it is. Everything I'm typing in this form gets spell-checked as I type. No need to paste into word at all!

Paul in Montreal.
  • Had a cracker at work the other day when someone emailed a female colleague asking her to 'pop over for a sex' he meant sec as in second!
  • Also built into Google toolbar which is free to download
  • Definitely use Firefox or Google Chrome - both of which are faster than IE and feature full spell check on text input. Firefox also has a handy ad blocking plugin that makes some sites far more bearable (it automatically hides the banner adverts and annoying popups). I can't live without it.
  • Firefox (which I use partly because of the spell checker), does use a lot of system resources since the last upgrade.

Best I saw was in a chat room in the mid 90's, someone misspelt count, but I think one of our politicians did that late on a Friday night too, so that is OK.

I was teaching an attractive student about headers and footers and got my words muddles up and told her to 'paste into the body of the sex', she smiled, I blushed.
  • Would you believe it I already had the Google toolbar....and it sorted out 'belive'; so thanks all problem solved!
  • I also use my browers (opera) when at home, but cannot when at work.
  • Got to watch carefully what auto- correct offers up ...

http://damnyouautocorrect.com/