Green Building Forum

Home  5  Books  5  GBEzine Subscription  5  News  5  HelpDesk  5  Your Cart  5  Register
Want to advertise products or post event information? - Green Building Forum

Hello

Welcome to the Green Building Forum. Reading any of the public conversations is free but if you want to join in the discussions then you need to register first to obtain a code for which there is a small charge. Please follow the link on the left. OR:

GREEN BUILDING MAGAZINE
Get the next four copies of this fantastic magazine delivered directly to your door.
1 year Green Building magazine subscription
Price: £20.00
Discount books available with subscription:

Want to advertise products or post event information?

edited August 2007 in Forum and community
Forum members that post adverts disguised as a discussion will be banned from the forum. So save us all some time and don't do it.

if you would like to place a legitimate advert then call Jerry Clark on 01208 895105

Forum members may add any 'FREE TO ATTEND' events or courses to the 'Events' category.

Paid events may only be posted after first contacting Jerry Clark on: jerry@greenbuildingpress.co.uk

Comments

• Could you review the rules about quoting/recommending/warning about trade names, Keith? What's fair comment and information, and what counts as banned advertising.
  • edited August 2007
    Tradenames are fine especially if you are discussing a product you have experience of using (hence the product section of this forum). I'm less interested in manufacturers and suppliers signing up as freeloaders and using the forum just to mention their product with no other purpose. The case in-point this morning was a hydro turbine with a picture and a name-drop.

If anyone wants to legitimately advertise a product on the fourm then they should call up our advertising guru. Jerry Clark on 01208 895103. this way, users see the banner advert and can ignore it if they wish or follow the link provided. It also helps pay for the escalating bandwidth requirements that this forum demands.
  • Hi Keith, I have a website that focus's a lot on green issues. Will I be banned if I mention some useful URL's? We dont sell anything! I have useful articles on renewable energy and energy saving tips, most of which I have researched myself. I can PM you the website if you like?
  • now I understand why it takes some time before I could write something on the forum
  • edited November 2007
    Posted By: ajwt2Hi Keith, I have a website that focus's a lot on green issues. Will I be banned if I mention some useful URL's? We dont sell anything! I have useful articles on renewable energy and energy saving tips, most of which I have researched myself. I can PM you the website if you like?
    Yes you will if that is all that you have planned. This is a discussion site, please feel free to discuss the issues that you have written about and an occasional link to emphasise a point would be acceptable..

If you want to trade links freely with us then go to our links pages and follow the advice there please.
  • Could other users please report any advertising breaches to me and I'll promptly remove and ban the offender from the forum.
  • Hi, why does my connection say i have a fatal error when i try to open the "do we need to be careful about smoke" posting, all other post are OK.:cry:
    Tom
  • Did you know this sticky isn't visible until after you have signed in

So if you register, then immediately start a thread or post, you might not see it?
  • edited May 2008
    Hi Keith,
    Is it ok to whisper to people if you have a relevant service or product that might be helpful to them?
  • Good question Joe.

I would think that we should frown upon this but what do others think.

Could it be a form of stalking?

Everyone should remember please that administrators can see all whispers!
  • I personally am looking to be 'sold' something - and you can always ignore if the solicitation isn't of interest.
  • Perhaps it would be better to ensure that your commercial interest in the subject is already known, then offer your services openly?
  • That would also save the embarrassment of being 'outed' as the MD of the firm flogging a particular item / technology.
  • As the MD of a firm flogging technology that may be of interest to forum readers i think it best I "OUT" myself on my second post! I think its is far better to admit to having a professional and/or commercial interest in the information you are providing so that the reader can make their own judgement as long as it isn't a blatant plug i.e. tell them what you do but not WHO you are but leave enough clues so that they can suss out who you are if they work hard enough and use google - I would hope to think that it would be acceptable.... er....at least I really hope this would be OK otherwise I do sincerely apologiese for the post I just made :shamed:

And yes I very much agree that blatant spammers should be found, hung, drawn, quartered then composted :devil:

Gavin
  • "I think its is far better to admit to having a professional and/or commercial interest in the information you are providing so that the reader can make their own judgement as long as it isn't a blatant plug i.e. tell them what you do but not WHO you are but leave..."

Not always. In some cases the writer may be so professionally qualified in the field discussed that others would be discouraged or intimidated from making their viewpoint known. Commercial interest I think should be stated particularly if recommending a product.
  • I am curious about this one: whilst I agree that blatant advertising is offensive and unacceptable...and of course I hate predatory spam, it seems to me that the perfectly decent post from a promoter of external insulation, responding to an issue, was removed within hours. It would ssem to me that the product was, potentially a good solution (listed building wall insulation)>

I would not be posting, couldn't be bothered, except that I see constant posts (re Mitsibushi and Azobuild) recommendeing various products and outfits...so how do you draw the line?

Sorry just a thought to contemplate... i like info...I can filter out the clowns!:shocked:
  • If Mitsibushi et al. are posting info here about their products then point it out please caliwag.

The rule is that posters may discuss products and product dealers may respond but no advertising is allowed in the threads.
  • we seem to be getting more and more adverts placed on the forum at the moment - anything we can do about this?

S.
  • Keep reporting them here or to my e-mailaddress and I'll ban the offenders. Best we can do I'm afraid.
  • Sorry Caliwag we would prefer to filter them out. If you want to read their advertising I suggest that you start up your own forum.
  • Should we stop people asking "Has anyone used such and such a product?"

It seems to be a way that veiled adverts are sneaking in?

Forum member feedback would be appreciated as I don't want to be too heavy handed.
  • Difficult I think Keith. I wouldn't suggest it's not unreasonable for somebody thinking of installing a specific product to try and get some feedback from the wealth of knowledge on this site that is kindly given. In a world flowing over with greenwash this site is a great resource and it's enjoyable passing on your own experiences too. I do agree that those just coming on to advertise are not playing in the spirit of the site and should be stopped but i am not convinced that's the way to go. That said I have no great way other than the reporting and removal to suggest sorry.
  • I did just this the other day, Keith. It was a genuine question because, despite working in the building industry and especially with historical buildings and energy conservation, i know no-one who had used the particular product I had found. I think the stealth advertisers are pretty easy to spot and filter, aren't they?
  • OK. just keep reporting any that you suspect as not valid please.
  • There's a point in product or import-market development, where advertising would be premature because the product isn't available (and may change or be ditched), but the developer needs feedback from potential users.

Several people seem to have come to this forum for such feedback, which has commercial implications but is not an attempt to avoid paying for advertising - yet.

Clarification about whether this is OK?
  • edited October 2008
    Talking as a dense building amateur / end-user, I'm always looking for word of mouth recommendations, price comparisons, names named and the specifics - the good, the bad and the ugly, and it seems to me that stealth advertisers are always outed and are given a good verbal kicking.
    Where would you stop as well? Call something a Hoover and everyone knows what you're talking about. I only recently twigged that Laddomat was the name of a manufacturer and not the generic term for the doobry itself.
  • Are you plugging Laddomat?
  • Whisper it to yourself and it will disapear
  • The 'has anyone ever. . . . . ' could sometimes backfire for advertisers if someone did say they'd used it and it was cr*p. As other people have said, that's why we use this forum, to find out genuine people's experiences of products.
  • ... are postings allowed to advertise 'Solar twin' and 'the green shop'...?

:wink:

J