Green Building Forum

Home  5  Books  5  GBEzine Subscription  5  News  5  HelpDesk  5  Your Cart  5  Register
Shop doors open.... - Green Building Forum

Hello

Welcome to the Green Building Forum. Reading any of the public conversations is free but if you want to join in the discussions then you need to register first to obtain a code for which there is a small charge. Please follow the link on the left. OR:

GREEN BUILDING MAGAZINE
Get the next four copies of this fantastic magazine delivered directly to your door.
1 year Green Building magazine subscription
Price: £20.00
Discount books available with subscription:

Shop doors open....

edited March 2011 in Commercial build
All doors open and heat blasting out into the street.

This "cultural" practice is going to have to stop

I was in Salisbury at the week end and the shops there were worse than in my town, fully open with the heating on full and apparently trying to heat the street!!

How will this "culture" ever change? It is again the exact opposite of energy saving and reduction of demand etc...

Comments

• http://www.closethedoor.org.uk/
  • Feel a case of the 'Larry Gracesons' coming on.

Was you testing out the range of the new car Tony?

I have noticed that Tesco stores down here have put in secondary automatic doors, not sure if this is a national thing or just in my nation.
  • I know Tony it drives me nuts aswell. I think it needs to be made a criminal offence, maybe it could be enforced by traffic wardens?
  • IIRC, in NYC it is an offence, with an escalating fine.

Rgds

Damon
  • I recently wrote to my local council about this issue -- there reply was negative and virtually unprintable (or they would sue me)

Who pays for all the heat that they waste --- WE DO! prices would be lower for all of us if they kept their doors closed.

I found this nice organisation -- www.closethedoor.org.uk their research shows that half the heat used is wasted in winter with the doors open.
  • edited June 2011
    I wish there was a thermal map of high streets, then when I am feeling cold I could go and stand outside their shops.
    The mobile phone operators are looking to reduce the amount of energy their transmitters use, personally I think they are looking in the wrong place. I have no idea how many retail outlets there are, but say that there are 6 in each medium sized town, and they are 100m^2 each, that is 600m^2 with an energy use of probably 50W/m^2 (pure guess there), that is 263 MWh/y. How many towns in England with 6 shops, 400? that would be about 100 GWh/y.
    I may go into my local store and see how many halogen spots are alight and see what sort of heating they have (I am always amazed how hard it is to find the heating system in shops (especially Chinese takeaways, they have a portable gas heater, that is usually lit, but no heat:confused:).
    And we say that the out of town supermarkets are the baddies. Should write to Mary Portas and point this out.

Prices would be lower if we had lower property prices too. High fixed asset values are of no benefit to anyone.
  • Then there are all the halogen downlights blazing in fast food outlets despite having wall to wall windows on three sides.