Green Building Forum

Home  5  Books  5  GBEzine Subscription  5  News  5  HelpDesk  5  Your Cart  5  Register
Mixing my own concrete for foundations - Green Building Forum

Hello

Welcome to the Green Building Forum. Reading any of the public conversations is free but if you want to join in the discussions then you need to register first to obtain a code for which there is a small charge. Please follow the link on the left. OR:

GREEN BUILDING MAGAZINE
Get the next four copies of this fantastic magazine delivered directly to your door.
1 year Green Building magazine subscription
Price: £20.00
Discount books available with subscription:

Mixing my own concrete for foundations

I'm building a 7.5 by 4.5m cabin in the woods and I can't get a readymix truck anywhere close for the foundation pour. How difficult will it be to mix the concrete on site for the 600x 300mm strip foundations?

Comments

• That's 4.3 cubic metres you need...

So

1.4t cement
    2.6t sand
    5.2t chippings

How strong are you to mix all that and barrow it in?
  • Posted By: VictorianecoHow strong are you to mix all that and barrow it in?
    it's either barrow the dry stuff in or barrow the wet stuff in.
  • How close could a readymix get? Close enough to pump it? Can you get any vehicles at all to the site?
  • Powered barrow dry and mix and pour straight into trenches. I would do pads, I'm square holes to same depth with beams, steel or wood between them and build on that.
  • edited October 2014
    Powered barrow - done

http://www.jansen-versand.de/haus-und-garten/schubkarren-dumper/152/raupendumper-jansen-rd-200-hydraulische-mulde-benzinmotor

500kg capacity. Great for moving stuff around a difficult site. Could really do with a mini digger!
  • edited October 2014
    Or just ram the pad holes full of dry graded aggregate well consolidated, incorporating squares of steel fabric at vertical intervals to restrain 'bursting' (outward flow of aggregate resulting from vertical load). A shed will sit happily on that; can be packed up level if nec after a year. That's how Ben Law founds his pole buildings - full details in
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Roundwood-Timber-Framing-Lloyd-Kahn/dp/1856230414/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1413063964&sr=1-1&keywords=ben+law+roundwood
  • Unfortunately being under trees and in the grip of building control, stone piles or other types of foundation may not be acceptable!
  • edited October 2014
    I know someone who used some ponies once to carry building materials into a difficult location.

sounds funny, but when you think about it, in certain circumstances, like trying to transport stuff through woods or tricky slopes, they are ideal.
  • just think, one day Amazon.com will be delivering concrete by drone for exactly this type of situation.
  • You haven't answered the question of how close a truck can get. Pumping concrete 100 metres is routine, they can go further.
  • Not worth it for 4m3
  • edited October 2014
    Friend got 6 or 7 m³ pumped about 70 metres with no hassle. Don't know what he paid but it was all done in an afternoon and a lot less hassle than barrowing it on to an awkward site.

Rachel Shiamh (at one time of this forum) used a donkey to help get materials on site for this house: http://www.quietearth.org.uk/strawbale.htm
  • Over here, the pump would cost more than the concrete.
  • The distance is about 150m. I agree it could be pumped but the cost would be quite high and my time is free. The powered barrow makes moving materials to the site easy, then all I have to do is mix and pour as a continuous operation. My mixer is about 1/3 of a metre cubed.

I've just levelled the site and dug the foundations by hand so moving the materials, then mixing should help me get fit!

I've realised that a mini digger would be so useful for loading materials and digging but I'm finding it hard to justify buying one.
  • No reason why you can't do it by hand especially if the mixer is 1/3rd of a cube. Two of you on the go will do it in a decent days work.

However if you have any form of powered help then I would take it.... powered barrows maybe yes, but they can be a bit on the slow side although maybe ok for 150m, any farmers or stables with a bobcat, small dumper (these can be dirt cheap and shouldn't lose any money) or small telehandler?
  • edited October 2014
    Posted By: willie.macleodany farmers or stables with a bobcat, small dumper (these can be dirt cheap and shouldn't lose any money) or small telehandler?
    we have a few guys locally who do groundwork, but all of them tell me they are too busy to do a one day job! The plot I have has a lot of sloping ground and I soon realised that to build anything I'll need to start by levelling off, so I've also been looking around the various actions for second hand plant prices are still quite high compared to a few years ago, mind you a hike in interest rates and a general election may put paid to that.

At the moment I'm working on the small stuff around the garden, outbuildings to store tools, equipment, wood etc and a cabin in the woods in which to live during the build. The problem I'm finding is that all my old contacts have given up self employment and gone working for larger firms or the local college, so are no longer available, those left are booked up months in advance. Hence the reason why I'm hand digging and pouring the small foundations myself. If I have to do the main house foundations myself I'll definitely need at least one more part of hands and an excavator of some sort.
  • Can you get a tractor in?
  • Yes and my neighbour has a small tractor I could borrow, why?
  • Tractor and trailer is ideal, load up with ballast and cement, shovel downhill into the mixer, set next the trench and keep moving round, job done in a couple of hours! Even use ready mix and it will clean the trailer nice. Job done in half the time again.
  • edited October 2014
    There are PTO mixers that will fit a trackers, some are even self loading. Even if not self loading, you can load the mixer then drive the trackers to the building site while it mixes.
  • Posted By: tonyTractor and trailer is ideal, load up with ballast and cement, shovel downhill into the mixer, set next the trench and keep moving round, job done in a couple of hours!
    Now that is a good idea. Thanks.