Green Building Forum

Home  5  Books  5  GBEzine Subscription  5  News  5  HelpDesk  5  Your Cart  5  Register
Building regs for a garage - Green Building Forum

Hello

Welcome to the Green Building Forum. Reading any of the public conversations is free but if you want to join in the discussions then you need to register first to obtain a code for which there is a small charge. Please follow the link on the left. OR:

GREEN BUILDING MAGAZINE
Get the next four copies of this fantastic magazine delivered directly to your door.
1 year Green Building magazine subscription
Price: £20.00
Discount books available with subscription:

Building regs for a garage

As a start for my new build I am planning the garage/workshop which will be completed first (to wait for the bats to leave the bungalow we are demolishing!!!). It is to be 11 mtrs by 7 mtrs with a low pitch metal roof but the architect wants 190mm solid walls which I feel is over the top. They brought this down to 140mm hollow block but want 450mm pillars every 3mtrs. My last garage was 100mm walls with 200mm pillars every 3 mtrs and 190 gable walls. Where can I get info on wall construction for garages for building regs?

Comments

• IIRC over 40m2 = Building Control Approval?
    Call you local BC dept for advice....

Good luck:smile:
  • Does the door take up a complete end wall?

Reducing the size of the door so you get some corners may allow weaker walls. However at 7m by 11m you are getting hit by the lack of cross basing from internal walls.
  • engineer can always help have you got one for the house? I would say piers possibly 325mm would do it two each side and one on the back gable should be braced to the roof.
  • In Scotland, over 30m2 needs building warrant approval. I don't think you're this side of the border Joe but we have the small buildings guide attached to the building regs and if you comply with the requirements then you cover the structural requirements of the regs.
    It applies to garages with an unrestrained wall height up to 3m from memory so might give you some pointers:

http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Topics/Built-Environment/Building/Building-standards/publications/pubtech/techsbsg/
  • As ringi says, 11m without cross walls is a killer. Are you constructing wind turbines in there:shocked:
  • Ring TDC and ask to speak to Mick Maguire he's Very helpfull.
  • Wow! Some garage. 77m2 that's 10% bigger than the bungalow I'm living in.
  • 3 times the footprint of my house
  • Thanks one and all for your input. Yes it is big but its a workshop as well but not allowwed to call it that or I cant claim the VAT back on its construction!!!!! Hairydude, that info is great and exactly what i want even tho I am not in Scotland (Devon) it gives a lot more info. Woodgnome, I know you are close to my build, yes I will give Mick a ring and have a chat.
  • Put the pillars on the outside?
  • Put the pillars on the inside and use them for the end supports for the shelves you will inevitably need in a workshop - oops sorry garage