Green Building Forum

Home  5  Books  5  GBEzine Subscription  5  News  5  HelpDesk  5  Your Cart  5  Register
Help please- Ecodan compressor quote! - Green Building Forum

Hello

Welcome to the Green Building Forum. Reading any of the public conversations is free but if you want to join in the discussions then you need to register first to obtain a code for which there is a small charge. Please follow the link on the left. OR:

GREEN BUILDING MAGAZINE
Get the next four copies of this fantastic magazine delivered directly to your door.
1 year Green Building magazine subscription
Price: £20.00
Discount books available with subscription:

Help please- Ecodan compressor quote!

edited January 2015 in Heating and cooling
Hi there.
I've just been quoted £1830 to repair my 14kW Mitsubishi Ecodan ASHP. Apparently it needs a new compressor. This seems like a remarkable amount of money to me. Any ideas on what I should be paying? Can anyone recommend anyone who would be prepared to come to York?
Thanks
Dave

Comments

• Hi Dave, with labour and some margin that is probably about right, but if we change a compressor we generally change out the filter drier and expansion valve too, which would bump the cost again unless they are already included.

Before you do anything though you need to know what cooked the compressor, how old was it and what sort of load is on the heat pump, what size cylinder and coil do you have, do you have a buffer, do you have rads/UFH are they zoned etc. etc.

You don't want to see the issue happen again in the same time frame, most ASHP manuf's would claim 15 years for the outdoor unit.

However I am going back to an 8.5 Ecodan tomorrow that has leaked its fridge gas after about 4 years and we had a 14kw Ecodan that required a completely new outdoor unit in less than 2 years (under warranty).
  • Thanks guys. All being sorted- to be fair to Mitsubishi they are coming to replace the whole unit for free even though it's out of warranty. Seems they were waiting for it to blow!