Green Building Forum

Home  5  Books  5  GBEzine Subscription  5  News  5  HelpDesk  5  Your Cart  5  Register
New forum being tested. - Green Building Forum

Hello

Welcome to the Green Building Forum. Reading any of the public conversations is free but if you want to join in the discussions then you need to register first to obtain a code for which there is a small charge. Please follow the link on the left. OR:

GREEN BUILDING MAGAZINE
Get the next four copies of this fantastic magazine delivered directly to your door.
1 year Green Building magazine subscription
Price: £20.00
Discount books available with subscription:

New forum being tested.

edited May 2015 in General
If you want to have a play then try out this link. for the next few days postings here and on the trial forum may get lost so maybe keep that in mind please. Your normal login info should work at the test forum.

http://greenbuilding.co.uk/vanilla%202/

Comments

• the themes and layouts will change lots over the next few day so don't panic. I'm trying to get it to match this site somewhat for a starter.
  • Wow, looks good
  • Lightning
  • Have you been able to sign in guys?
  • edited May 2015
    How do you just quote the highlighted text, rather than the whole post?
    It did not seem to jump to the last post I have read, rather it goes to the beginning.
    I managed to sign in.
  • Aaaaarghhh I don't like my face!

I did sign in and did post something
  • Tony
    Does it remind you of any other forum sites :wink:
  • Not sure at the moment Steamy. A lot of the addons for this version did not survive the upgrade sadly.
  • Hey i've just applied the bootstrap theme and it looks groovy but some of the files failed to upload so it may be shaky.
  • Um
    Now you have put all the stuff that was on the left over to the right.
    Reminds me of driving an old BMC car.
  • i didn't do that it automates by the theme.

It is cumfy over here.

Shall I try to match this one exactly?

Maybe we need ~a poll?
  • i want a like button and cannot find one!!
  • I think that the biggest criticism of the old style is that we cannot quote and put a hyper link in.
    Things like the the Flag, Like, Share are just bells and whistles that can start to clutter the interface up.
  • I think the quote on the new board will allow hyperlinks but you will have to probably cut the bits you don't want quoted.
  • Sadly for you lot i found a like button.
  • Like it - easy to navigate around and I like the larger text- sign in is fine and it's a quick site to get around using Google Chrome - makes a nice change to get a smooth site using a satellite connection.
  • Posted By: blacksmitheasy to navigate around
    Try bookmarking a thread and going back to it, all it did for me was go to the beginning of the thread, not where I left off.
    Posted By: blacksmithI like the larger text
    Not tried this, but does it mean that we will all have to read a post that is put up in large text?
    Sub and Super script would be more useful, as would Greek symbols.
  • Try playing around with this one:
    http://greenbuilding.co.uk/vanilla%202/discussion/13342/trying-out-the-limitation-on-the-new-site
  • Oddly I dont see the gear editor on your original posting.
  • Ah the edit gear is next to the subject heading. That's a bit like the this forum actually.
  • It seems quite groovy. Please keep looking I think I'll aim for a switchover maybe Sunday. And I will do my best to draw over latest posts from this forum but no guarantees right now I'm afraid. So chit chat like the election thread might be best for the next few days for safety.
  • Mostly like - look forward to using. Particularly nice to be able to mix markup and links.

Would really advise against the space between “Vanilla” and “2” in the URL; the URL encoding as “Vanilla%202” will just be confusing.

Hope you can change the style so the posting column is wider - combined with the larger text it'll make for a lot of scrolling during reading.

Pity that using “Quote” takes the whole of the posting, even if a smaller part is selected. Editing it down without breaking the markup takes a bit of care and people already quote too much.
  • Posted By: Ed Daviesand people already quote too much.
    Agree.
  • edited May 2015
    I tried to post in the new forum but every time I clicked in the "Enter your comments" box the key board disappeared. I'm using a Kindle, so I don't have a real keyboard only a pop up keyboard.

I'm also only seeing in black and white, I also find the quoted text difficult to decipher, it should be in box, a different colour, or in italics, or something to differentiate it.

To end on a positive, Keith your doing great work and the new forum looks and feels great.
  • Posted By: Ed DaviesHope you can change the style so the posting column is wider
    The posting column should automatically adjust to the browser width!!!

At the moment, the headers are wider than my browser, so I have to sideways scroll to read them. It's diabolical.

Please just keep it simple and straightforward. i.e. web pages, not an app.
  • Wilco. I've not looked at the css yet as that is where I'll need to fine tune it with the points above. Also not looked at it from my phone either. Some stuff will have to be played around with after we migrate as I'm worried we are losing postings now. From Sat afternoon any new applicants will be sent there and on Sunday I'll try setting up redirects.

Fingers crossed.

PS has anyone looked for their uploaded images or illustrations yet as I'm not sure if they transferred?
  • edited May 2015
    Quotes is fixed. Give it a try. Type out your text. then highlight the text you are quoting and a little box appears, then trust the system to deliver and click post. Voila!

Image upload is fixed. little box in corner of posting box.
  • edited May 2015
    Signed in to New site, but still can't post anything, I'm a Kindle user and the pop up key board won't work.

Write the above using the Kindle and the original site.
  • I'll try it from my phone later tonight. As you may have guessed I'm not switching today. i think we need another week to test. Sorry.
  • 1) Smaller (too small) text in comments (OP text size is OK, why make the following ones smaller?). Can we please have comment text the same size as OP text. It's useable once I've zoomed a lot (and made the OP text overly large), but the default sucks.

2) Stupid fixed-width layout so I have 1/3 page of blank either side. That's idiotic. Hmm, actually this one is fixed-width too, but as it's about 1/3rd wider and thus fills my screen its not annoyed me. The new one is significantly narrower.

3) Works without javascript - tick VG

4) However the layout is broken without 3rd-party site: (ajax.googleapis). Without that enabled there is huge blank space the height of the side-bar category list and the comments appear below that. That's not an issue on this site. Not clear why it needs google ajax to put the comments at the top of the 2nd column.

5) Number of postings in sidebar is nice bit of info.

6) Signing in works

7) I preferred the pink background for unread over little yellow '2new' decal, but I guess they both work. (The writing is still tiny!)

8) Comment box is only 2 lines high by default. Exceedingly irritating. It is draggable, but that default size needs fixing. And it is a standard text box so addons like 'itsalltext' work nicely.

9) Posting works.

10) edit gear thing appears but clicking on it does nothing. OK. You can make it working by turning on javascript and exsternal google ajax site. Don't like that. What's the point of javascript to pop-up a one-item menu. The old site had the one item just there to click on: 'edit'. That was a better UI.

11) And now I get a nasty gui editor. Is there a way to turn that off?

So yes new site basically works. And it does fix the one major bug with existing site (HTML+link not possible), but at the expense of a lot of UI changes, mostly for the worse. Some of those are presumably easily fixable. It does at least mostly work without 3rd-party code you have no control over, but the loss of 'edit' without that is a big deal. I would never host a site running 3rd-part javascript live, I'd have a local copy.

I'll try using it a bit more and see how it goes. Is this still 'Vanilla'? I don't see a reference on the new site.