Green Building Forum

Home  5  Books  5  GBEzine Subscription  5  News  5  HelpDesk  5  Your Cart  5  Register
Anti-spam measures - Green Building Forum

Hello

Welcome to the Green Building Forum. Reading any of the public conversations is free but if you want to join in the discussions then you need to register first to obtain a code for which there is a small charge. Please follow the link on the left. OR:

GREEN BUILDING MAGAZINE
Get the next four copies of this fantastic magazine delivered directly to your door.
1 year Green Building magazine subscription
Price: £20.00
Discount books available with subscription:

Anti-spam measures

edited February 2009 in Members only
We are testing a new measure that will prevent (usually new) members doing mass postings when moderators are not available.

In a nutshell, if a member posts more than three comments or starts three threads with 60 seconds, then their account gets frozen for ten hours.

Feedback on this measure is welcome.

Comments

• Might work - can't think of anything else that might not penalise the avid but perfectly 'straight' member. I might post on 3 things in 5 minutes, and certainly not within 60 secs, but if a new member 'bombs in' several posts, that'll probably take more than a minute.
  • I know of other forums where users are not allowed to start any new threads within certain time limits (days or weeks often) and some others that insist on typing in the random string of letters from an image verification thing (technical term that)that you often get on forums for each post, I don't know if you could do this for new users only though and I guess the established genuine members would find it a pain where it introduced in a blanket form.

Having seen a couple of the pretty blatant violations by new users recently I would suggest either measure is fair enough and that the moderators apppear to be being more than fair.
  • I've noticed that the Forum appears to have become rather more 'sluggish' than I'm used to. It's taking a lot more time loading up and switching from area to area. I thought it was something to do with my phishing filters and security settings but nothing I've done seems to improve things. I tend to dip in and out eg when on the 'phone (you are held in a queue and will be answered shortly ... your call is important to us ...) so it's a bit irritating. Any ideas please?
  • I might change it to three minutes as Nick pointed out 60 seconds is not very long.

Mrs Whitecat. I have to deleted the history about once per month as it fills up with the details of about 1,000,000 visitors IP details in that time. As it gets fuller it is slowed a little I,m afraid.
  • Posted By: ModeratorI might change it to three minutes
    1 min per post... ....mmh could easily do that and get myself frozen, I think 1 min is fine

J
  • One minute per post is pretty fast. Unless you talk to yourself a lot James!
  • edited February 2009
    Posted By: Moderator1,000,000 visitors IP details in that time.
    So much interest in Green Building. Who'd have thought it. Now, let's see if I can start three new threads in under a minute.
  • For eg:

Post on thread 1

"Thanks Keith,

J"

Post on thread 2

"Her's that link you wanted

Http etc etc"

Edit post on thread 2

"Here's that link you wanted.. etc etc"

I could do that in 3 mins if I was in a hurry...then I'd be banned for 10 hrs!

J

(Maybe more than 5 threads in 5 mins...?)