Green Building Forum

Home  5  Books  5  GBEzine Subscription  5  News  5  HelpDesk  5  Your Cart  5  Register
Are you out there DavidHK!!!! - Green Building Forum

Hello

Welcome to the Green Building Forum. Reading any of the public conversations is free but if you want to join in the discussions then you need to register first to obtain a code for which there is a small charge. Please follow the link on the left. OR:

GREEN BUILDING MAGAZINE
Get the next four copies of this fantastic magazine delivered directly to your door.
1 year Green Building magazine subscription
Price: £20.00
Discount books available with subscription:

Are you out there DavidHK!!!!

edited February 2009 in Members only
Hi David,
Regards your oil boiler connection, can you tell me where on the tank you have the thermostat that operates the oil boiler? Also at what teperature do you have the oil boiler coming on at?

Regards
Scotch

CommentAuthorDavidHK CommentTimeAug 10th 2008 quote
I have just installed a 45kw Vigas log boiler in my garage from Dunster Wood Fuels http://www.dunsterwoodfuels.co.uk/ with a 2500 litre accumulator tank. I have connected mine to the existing heatings system so that the oil boiler will fire if the wood boiler and accumulator tank is not hot enough.

I have a thermostat on the Accumulator tank which switches between the Accumultor tank pump and the oil boiler and house pump. It is working fine for hot water but not been through a winter yet.

The total system installed cost around £9500 less the grant of £1500. I have the boiler in a garage with insulated pipes running tucting pipe to the house. I had a number of quotes ranging from £9500-£15000. Dunster and their installer were best price.

Regards

David

Comments

• Hi, Scotch, did you manage to contact DavidHK, or are you able to recommend an installer/spec to get a log boiler/accumulator running effectively with oil back up?
  • edited August 2009
    DavidHK = David King if you search for his username...

...but not sure whether that's Professor Sir David King the chief scientific adviser...

...but you never know...

http://www.ch.cam.ac.uk/staff/dak.html

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7114595.stm

J
  • Hi crt,
    I did not manage to contact DavidHK.
    I went with the installer that Dunster Woodfuels recommended. I hadn't prepared an exit for the oil boiler flue before he arrived. He did fit connections to the thermal store for the oil boiler flow and return. However I have not done anything regards fitting the oil boiler mainly because, after returning from a weeks holiday there was still enough heat in the tank to give both my wife and I showers the following morning. I had the tank hot before we left.
    I lit the log boiler every day in the winter and at the moment about every 4-5 days as DHW is the only requirement. We have a wood burning stove for the main living kitchen area which is lit if we ( I mean she!!)feels chilly.

So what I am finding is that the way its working for us I don't see the need to have the oil boiler plumbed in.

Regards
    Scotch
  • That's really, helpful, thanks. I'm waiting for Dunster to come back to me with the name of an installer since the one they recommended last year came round, had a look and disappeared never to be heard from again...
  • Hi crt,
    The installer who did mine was Mike Wigmore. He's not the easiest to contact. If you want his phone number then email me through my member info.