Green Building Forum

Home  5  Books  5  GBEzine Subscription  5  News  5  HelpDesk  5  Your Cart  5  Register
Air Source Heat Pumps - Are they noisy? - Green Building Forum

Hello

Welcome to the Green Building Forum. Reading any of the public conversations is free but if you want to join in the discussions then you need to register first to obtain a code for which there is a small charge. Please follow the link on the left. OR:

GREEN BUILDING MAGAZINE
Get the next four copies of this fantastic magazine delivered directly to your door.
1 year Green Building magazine subscription
Price: £20.00
Discount books available with subscription:

Air Source Heat Pumps - Are they noisy?

edited August 2009 in Members only
This is a question for anybody who has or who lives next door to an air source heat pump.

How noisy are they?

I live in a fairly quiet rural area and I am thinking about installing an ASHP. I am wondering whether I need to go for an indoor mounted unit because an outdoor unit would be too noisy.

Anybody got any experience of this?

Comments

• edited August 2009
  • Go and listen to one -- there are lots of them about.

basically just a fan, not noisy but you can hear them.
  • edited August 2009
    ASHP were omitted from the changes to the Permitted Development rules because no standards exist for measuring the noise they produce - at least that was the excuse given. Apparently this means that PP is required to install ASHP.

However I'm not sure why being omitted from PDR means PP is required. Is it only required for outside units? Oil boilers aren't covered by permitted development either so does that mean an external oil boiler would also need PP?
  • As with everything, it depends. There are two units to a split. As tony says, the outside unit encloses a large fan and a small compressor. If they are well fixed on meaty, robust brackets and fiited with resilient mounts you can hear them but you wouldn't consider them noisy: more like a domestic fan on max. you might have in your home or office. However, in the dead of night and cycling they are noticeable. So it depends where you are and how close your neighbours are if the latter is a consideration.

Now, there is the indoor unit to think about and that's a measure of how much you want to spend e.g. Fujitsu whisper quiet units are very, very quiet but cost much more than a bog standard 1/3 kW unit at 300 euros.
  • Marktime, are you talking about air-to-air HPs?
  • Ooops! Yes. My bad or what? I picked up on the "indoor mount" and jumped to the thousands of A-AHPs fitted here, but of course, splits. Apologies if I have confused the issue.

Writing with outdoor temp 38.5 deg RH 16%: indooor 31.9 deg RH 29%, getting cooler, thank goodness. :bigsmile: