Green Building Forum

Home  5  Books  5  GBEzine Subscription  5  News  5  HelpDesk  5  Your Cart  5  Register
Straw bale in Pakistan - Green Building Forum

Hello

Welcome to the Green Building Forum. Reading any of the public conversations is free but if you want to join in the discussions then you need to register first to obtain a code for which there is a small charge. Please follow the link on the left. OR:

GREEN BUILDING MAGAZINE
Get the next four copies of this fantastic magazine delivered directly to your door.
1 year Green Building magazine subscription
Price: £20.00
Discount books available with subscription:

Straw bale in Pakistan

edited December 2010 in Members only
Having been involved in thinking about rammed earth I now find a charity going down the straw bale route

Are they mad? or will it work? mud cement plastered! isn't the humidity going to kill it?

Comments

• Depends where in Pakistan

Up in the mountains? need to know what the local climate is and what the local enviromental risks are, eg flooding, earthquakes etc.

This strawbale project in Pakistan has been going for a while now non?

Risk from humidity will depend on what type of straw is used. Hemp is pretty resistant.
  • I thought it was new but do you know where it is then?
  • Are you talking about http://www.paksbab.org/html/ ?

Yes, they've been going about five years. Perhaps worth reading about the climate of Pakistan as well!
  • I dont know if its just me but isnt building strawbale houses in an area struck by flooding a bit.... stupid

Or are they being relocated somewhere else to live all these people?
  • For anybody that's still interested, I've just become aware that UN-HABITAT published a report on the effects of the flooding on housing:

http://www.unhabitat.org.pk/newweb/Latest%20Reports/Moonsoon%20Flood%202010%20Pakistan%20Report%20UNHABITAT.pdf

It's 124 pages so there should be enough facts there to answer some of the questions :)
    And no, I haven't read it!