Green Building Forum

Home  5  Books  5  GBEzine Subscription  5  News  5  HelpDesk  5  Your Cart  5  Register
RCJ load bearing calculations - Green Building Forum

Hello

Welcome to the Green Building Forum. Reading any of the public conversations is free but if you want to join in the discussions then you need to register first to obtain a code for which there is a small charge. Please follow the link on the left. OR:

GREEN BUILDING MAGAZINE
Get the next four copies of this fantastic magazine delivered directly to your door.
1 year Green Building magazine subscription
Price: £20.00
Discount books available with subscription:

RCJ load bearing calculations

does anyone know how you calculate the load bearing capacity of 100mm x 75mm x 1500mm,

Jonti

Comments

• We had a thread on this, ask Joiner as I think he started it, it did degenerate somewhat into a petrol head conversation.

This may help though:
    http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/beam-stress-deflection-d_1312.html
  • I do. But I don't know what an RCJ is. Something like an RSJ? Greentram's eurobeam software is nice and easy to use (and has a demo version). Runs OK under wine. But obviously you can just do the raw beam sums. Of course the raw 'at what uniform/point load will it fail' isn't all that useful for real building design (that has to get past any sort of inspector). You need to know a load of factors and assumed loads which get added up to provide various load combinations. Then design for the largest one (which in my case was exceptional snow load + maintenaince point load).
  • Who's a degenerate?!

It's here... http://www.greenbuildingforum.co.uk/forum114/comments.php?DiscussionID=6777
  • :bigsmile:
  • Thanks ST and joiner.

Wookey the C in RCJ is concrete. I was wanting to know the strength of the RCJ not the situational stress though I appreciate your input,

Jonti
  • RCJ - do you mean a concrete beam with an appropriate amount of re-bar in it?
    Here such things are cast in place and the size, amount of re-bar and position of that re-bar is determined by a structural / civil engineer
    Peter
  • Hi Peter,

yes, re-bar inforced concrete beams:smile:

Jonti